Thursday, July 18, 2013

Post 7: ALYS FACADE 3D STAGE TESTS

    Today, for a change, I tested a very short segment of the "Danse "Macabre" scene in 3D, using the stereo rig that is built into After Effects. Very simple indeed, and the effect works very well, except that the anaglyph is grayish because the scene contains a lot of red. That would be a good candidate for amber/blue glasses, or of course for my 3D TV in the squashed side by side format. 
   Then, I started building an entirely new 3D set starting with the Alys Stevens Center facade with a giant jagged hole in it: 

   To build a deep stage behind it, I used some old écorché prints for my walls, the same checkerboard floor, and a tin ceiling I made out of pictures of ceiling tiles. Then I added a number of objects, some inside, some in front, some slanted at an angle in the x or y plane. Some fly in and out the other side with a trajectory that brings them way forward. It looks pretty good in standard cyan/red anaglyph, except again that the reds are grayed out. I will  definitely have to find a way to render in Amber/Blue, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be an option in After Effects. Come on Adobe, the free Windows software Stereo Movie Maker has been doing that for years, it couldn't possibly be that hard! 
                               Here is the result.
    Now I want to see the effect in full color on my 80" 3D TV, so I rendered the left and right eye separately, and used Premiere Pro to squash them together in a 1920x1080 frame (in that stupid format that wastes half of the definition...), and rendered as a .mov file. I loaded it on a USB drive, plugged it in the TV, fiddled with the damn buttons as always(WHY CAN'T GEEK TV DESIGNERSMAKE IT SIMPLER?), and whaooooo!!! Now that really pops out in full color, and 80" big. Really impressive. The objects are still 2D at this stage though, but I am working on making them 3D too. And I want to figure out how to play it on the Alys Stevens facade. I hope the big projectors are 3D ready and we can use polarized passive 3D glasses for the show instead of anaglyph, which kills the colors.
     In order to be able to work on the computer in real 3D( not anaglyph or cross eyed), I ordered a new 23" LG D2343P-BN passive 3D monitor:


    I am really excited about the possibilities...

No comments:

Post a Comment